Wanted to learn how to play Dota 2? Here is a complete guide on how to play Dota 2. Learn how to get Dota invite and how to get Dota 2 running in your PC.Dota 2 is a stand-alone sequel to the ever popular Defense of the Ancients game mod for Warcraft 3 Reign of Chaos, and the Frozen Throne. Dota 2 is a strategy game where you get to choose and pick your heroes, that you will micro control, level up, kill enemy heroes, and gain gold in order to buy and upgrade items. In Dota 2, you’ll get a chance to fight as Radiant or Dire. It is a real-time strategy and requires teamwork in order to win games.
Here is a guide on how to play Dota 2. Note that this guide is not about strategies, tips, techniques, and item buying guide, but rather a technical guide on how to install and play Dota 2 in your computer. Similarly, most gamers want to know how to play Dota 2. Keep in mind that, right now the Dota 2 can only be played in Windows operating system, however there is a way to play it on Mac. I’m using Mac to play Dota 2. If you;re interested in how to use your Mac in playing Windows only games, then read the article below.
Want to know how to play Dota 2 in Mac? Read this how to install Windows 7 on Mac using Boot Camp!
1. Get Dota 2 Invites
Get your free Dota 2 invite. Click here to know how to get Dota 2 invites. For now, Dota 2 is invite only, and haven’t been fully open to public. You need to have an invitation first in order to play Dota 2.
2. Upon receiving the invite, proceed in logging in your Steam powered account.
3. Download and install the Steam client.
You need to install the Steam client in your computer in order to play Dota 2.
4. Launch the Steam Installation Wizard, and proceed by clicking the Next button.
5. Accept the Steam License Agreement
6. Select your Internet connection speed to run Steam
7. Select the language to use when running Steam
8. Select folder where you want Steam to be installed
9. Wait for the Steam installer to finish installing and updating your system
10. Click Finish after Steam is successfully installed
11. Proceed by updating the Steam client.
12. Click on Login to an existing account (Alternatively, you can create a new account if you don’t have one.)
13. Login to your Steam account
14. Install Dota 2, by clicking on the Install button.
15. You will be informed by Disk Space requirement, proceed by clicking Next button.
16. Let the Dota 2 installer create shortcuts to the game, then click Next.
17. After installation is complete, you will now be able to play Dota 2. Click the Play button to launch Dota 2.
18. Upon launching Dota 2, you will be ask to select your Dota familiarity.
19. Click on the Match tab, above and start finding a game by clicking Find Match.
20. Continue by cliking Accept, if greeted by Your Game is Ready message. This happens when the Dota 2 Matchmaking successfully finds you a match to play.
21. Wait for other players to connect.
22. Dota 2 game will load if all 10 slots are complete, and be greeted by Waiting for Players screen. Otherwise, it will reset the Matchmaking process.
23. Pick your Dota 2 Hero. (This is my first Dota 2 game, and I’ll be choosing Riki as he has stealth, and I don’t want to be a food in my very first game.)
So far at this stage, you are currently playing Dota 2. Hopefully you won’t be called noobs, or get your allies pissed off by the way you play. Here is a screenshot after the game I played. We, the Dire, just lost to the Radiant. I don’t mind as this was my very first game, and I was using a Mac keyboard, which I’m not yet comfortable in using for games.
Well check the stats above, I’m currently in lead with the Kills score. I’ve matched up pretty well with Crystal Maiden,as she was in my lane, and end up making her my food throughout the game. Although Bounty Hunter, Invoker, and Skeleton King pretty much dominated us in late game. Maybe not bad game for a first timer? Don’t you think?
Dota 2 is highly addicting game, and requires skills and item knowledge. For me, I do not know any of the items yet, but like HoN or Heroes of Newerth, the item seller shows you recommended items for your Dota 2 Hero. For now have fun, and enjoy playing Dota 2, and hope this article helped you learned how to play Dota 2.
Like our Facebook Fan Page.
Subscribe and get the latest tips, tricks, news, and updates delivered straight to your e-mail inbox.