Google has already begun blocking access in Malaysia the anti-Islamic film, “Innocence of Muslims“, that has angered followers of Islam for mocking the prophet Mohammed, in YouTube. The clips of the low-budget movie are already restricted in some countries.
The anti-Islam film entitled “Innocence of Muslims” has sparked fury across the Muslim world and Google is already taking action by barring access on it in Malaysia, and other countries such as Indonesia, India, Egypt and Libya.
A YouTube, spokesman told AFP on Monday that it began restricting access to the clips of the privately-produced film, in line with its community guidelines.
The Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission (MCMC) was reported to have asked the internet giant, Google to remove clips of the controversial film, which they believe to have been produced by a small group of extremist Christians in the U.S.
While some extracts of the clips are still available on YouTube, several of the clips are already been blocked to users in the Muslim-majority country.
Google has also denied access to the YouTube videos in Indonesia, Libya, Egypt, and India.
In cities across the Muslim world, protesters have already vented their fury at the amateur film by targeting some of the symbols of U.S. influence ranging from embassies, schools, and even fast food chains.
Chris Stevens, the U.S. ambassador to Libya, and three other U.S. officials were killed last week in an attack by suspected Islamic militants on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi in protest against the controversial film. Currently there are a total of 17 people that have died in violence so far.
Muslims held demonstrations across Malaysia, calling for the U.S. to prevent distribution of “Innocence of Muslims” film, as they said is a part of a plot by “Christian extremists”.