Knowing how to choose a good domain name for your website is both critical and essential for you and for your website. Here are the guidelines on how to choose a good domain name to help you pick the best domain name for your website. Your domain name will be an important aspect which we give brand and identity for your site. Generally, it’s a good notion to spend some time thinking and finding a good domain name for your website.
Before we discuss some of the steps on how to choose a good domain name, keep in mind that there is no right or wrong when it comes to deciding for a domain name. While there are some guidelines and best practices on how to choose a good domain, in the end it all comes down to your decision and preferences.
Guidelines on How to Choose A Good Domain Name
Below are some of the guidelines that could help you decide and find out a domain name that you will love to buy for your website. Remember that domain name will be the identity of your website. If you are a gamer, then this is like naming your character, which in my case takes some time to decide and finalize the character name. 🙂
1. Make your domain name easy to remember. Make your domain name memorable, as the more memorable it is then the easier people can recognize it and directly type it in the browser.
2. Make your domain short as possible. For domain names size does matter! You want your domain name short so that people will have an easier time remembering it and typing it in the browser address bar. A good rule of thumb is to keep your domain name less than 20 characters long.
3. Make your domain easier to spell. Keep in mind that having hard to spell domain names means risking losing traffic. People may type in a wrong word in the browser while wanting to go to your website. So don’t make your domain name hard to spell as viewers may end up on another website by mistake.
4. Beware of domain copyright infringement. Remember not to choose a domain name, with an included trademark. Doing this may result some legal issues later on, which can end up losing your website as well as the domain name.
5. Include keywords in your domain name. This guideline is optional, but if you are trying to rank with a particular keyword, then it’s best to include your keyword in the domain. Doing this, will give the search engines, as well as the viewers to have an idea on what the site is all about.
6. Pick the right extension for your domain name. General rule of thumb is to get the .com domain extension, but if it’s taken then your next best choice would be the .net and the .org extensions. Unless you are targeting a specific country, then the three domain extension above are the best for your website.
7. Find a unique domain name. Tried all domain name you can possibly think but all are taken? Then you should pick a good unique domain name. Having a good unique and brandable domain name will probably help your website be recognized. While countless of domains are already registered, it may be a good idea to go for unique names think of Google, their name is unique right?
While these guidelines will certainly help you decide for what domain name you should use in your website, the final verdict is on you. If you are still having trouble in picking a good domain name, then make a list of short words you can think of and mix and match the words to generate a good domain name. You can always find inspiration from the domain names used by your favorite website. If all fails then you should try using Google Keyword Tool to find creative and heavily search keywords and turn them into your domain name.
Hope these guidelines on how to choose a good domain helped you on your website.
Like our Facebook Fan Page.
Subscribe and get the latest tips, tricks, news, and updates delivered straight to your e-mail inbox.