How to Downgrade Windows 8 Preinstalled to Windows 7
How to Downgrade a Windows 8 Preinstalled Laptop or Computer to Windows 7
Bought a Windows 8 ready laptop or computer and want to downgrade it to Windows 7? Here is a guide on how to downgrade Windows 8 preinstalled to Windows 7. There are some consumers who aren’t quite ready on using Windows 8, and some do prefer to use Windows 7, unfortunately newer laptops and computers already has Windows 8 preinstalled on it, and some retailers do not offer the option of using Windows 7 as its operating system.
The aim of this guide is to help and offer tutorial on how to downgrade your Windows 8 pre-installed with or without the Secure Boot to Windows 7.
Steps for Downgrading your Windows 8 PC to Windows 7
1. Open an elevated Windows 8 PowerShell. To do this just type in “powershell” without the quotes, then right click or press and hold on the “Windows PowerShell” result, and click on the “Run as administrator” located in the application bar at the bottom. See the screenshot below for more details.
2. Type in confirm-SecureBootUEFI.
If it shows TRUE, then your UEFI BIOS is set to Secure Boot, proceed to step 3.
If it shows FALSE, then your UEFI BISO is not set to Secure Boot. You won’t be needing to reset UEFI BIOS. Proceed to Step 4.
3. Reset BIOS to default, and then reboot to BIOS and make sure that Secure Boot is disabled.
Important: You need to check with your manufacturer’s UEFI/BIOS firmware manual to adjust the settings.
Search for “uefi” to display the Advanced Startup Options.
Select Advanced Startup.
Click/Tap on Troubleshoot.
Select Advanced Options.
Select UEFI Firmware Settings.
Click on Restart.
Below is a video guide on how to reset your UEFI Bios Firmware on Windows 8 for Toshiba computers and laptops. (The guide will work for other manufacturers as well, just find the appropriate settings as manufacturers tend to have different naming styles.)
4. Boot to your UEFI DVD, using the Boot Menu. To access the Boot Menu, press “F12” key upon restart or booting. Most manufacturers use the F12 key. See below for the list of keys for different manufacturers
Acer – F12
Asus – F8
Dell – F12
eMachines – F10
Fujutsu – F12
Gateway – F10
Gigabyte – F12
HP/Compaq – ESC
Sony – F2
5. Select your UEFI DVD drive and press Enter.
6. Install Windows 7 using the UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) by doing the steps below.
Delete all partitions in the Windows Setup Drive Options.
Remake the partitions by using Diskpart. To do this, boot your Windows 7 installation DVD, and then press the “F10” key to open a command window.
– In the command windows type “diskpart” and press Enter.
– Enter the “list disk” command.
– Enter “select disk 0”.
– Type in “clean” and press Enter.
– Type “convert gpt” and press Enter.
You should be able to see, the same output compared with the screenshot below.
Reboot and continue by installing Windows 7.
That’s it! You should be able to use Windows 7 after it finishes installing. The steps above are also used if you want to dual boot Windows 8 preinstalled and Windows 7 or have Windows 8 and Windows 7 on a single computer.
For now enjoy, as you have learned how to downgrade Windows 8 Pre-installed to Windows 7.