How to Install Tor in BackTrack 5 to Surf Anonymously
In this guide you will learn how to install Tor in BackTrack 5 to surf anonymously and make it run on BackTrack 5 with root access. Tor is an online anonymity tool which can let you surf anonymously and hide your IP address.
Disclaimer: This is for educational purposes only. We are not held responsible for whatever you will be doing upon learning this.
Tor protection works by bouncing your communications or data around a distributed network of relays run by volunteers all over the world. The tool prevents someone or somebody watching or sniffing your Internet connection and learns what sites you are visiting. This lets you hide your IP address and learning your real physical location. Tor software works with many of the existing applications of today, which includes browsers, remote logins, instant messaging clients, and other applications that are based on the TCP protocol.
While Tor is easier to install on other operating systems, installing it in BackTrack 5 requires you to know commands that should be typed in the terminal as by default BackTrack 5 will not allow you to run Tor. BackTrack 5 was designed for penetration testers to test their own system for exploits and was not made for hackers wanting to exploit external networks.
In order to install To in BackTrack 5 you need to bypass some of its security measure which will allow Tor to be ran as root and use it along with the other tools like nmap, proxychains, zenmap, sqlmap, and more.
How to Install Tor in BackTrack 5 to Surf Anonymously and Bypass Tor “Should not be run as Root” Complain Error
1. Install gedit if you haven’t installed it yet on your BackTrack 5 machine. To do this just open a terminal and type the command below.
apt-get install gedit
2. Download Tor Browser Bundle using the link above. Just pick the one that suits you, either if it’s 32-bit or 64-bit.
3. Save the Tor Browser Bundle file to your root/Desktop directory and copy it’s filename as it will be needed to unzip it.
4. When download is 100% completed, open a terminal and type the commands below.
tar -zvxf <filename>
Just change the <filename> to the actual filename of the file, and press enter to unzip its contents.
5. Upon extracting, you should be able to find a browser folder tor-browser_en-US on your Desktop, locate that folder and open it.
6. Find the “start-tor-browser” as shown below and double click to open it.
7. Upon doing the step above, you will be presented by an error message, “The Tor Browser Bundle should not be run as root. Exiting.” shown below. This is what we need to bypass and attempt to crack.
8. Return to the Tor folder and locate again the “start-tor-browser“.
9. Right click on the file and choose Open with -> Gedit. If the Gedit notepad screen loads up, click on the search tab and type “the tor browser bundle” as shown below.
10. If everything was done correctly, you will be facing a screen shown below. This is what we need to tweak in order to allow Tor run with root.
11. Delete the error comment and replace it with “Tor is running as Root“, then remove the “exit 1” code. The final edited “start-tor-browser” file must be identical to the one shown below.
12. Go back to the Desktop/tor-browser_en-US folder and then double click to open start-tor-browser like on the first steps. If you did the steps above correctly, the prompt screen should show you “Tor is running as Root“. Press the Ok button and then wait for Tor to finish loading.
13. Vidalia Control Panel will load up like shown below, and allow Tor to establish a connection.
14. Tor Browser should load up and you should now be able to surf anonymously.
Enjoy! Hope you learned how to install Tor in BackTrack 5 to surf anonymously and hide your IP address. Make Torrun on BackTrack 5 with root access using this complete guide.
Like our Facebook Fan Page.
Subscribe and get the latest tips, tricks, news, and updates delivered straight to your e-mail inbox.
Ameer is your techie friend, the head admin, and editor-in-chief of this blog. In here we share the latest technology news and updates, computer tips and tricks, SEO, games and gaming news, and other tech articles that aims to help you with today's technology.